Saturday, March 06, 2010

Tall Ships Quilt is Done!

Finally, I'm able to post my completed quilt (finished Monday). I started Tall Ships in 1993. Due to really bad tension and quilting problems with my machine, I needed to take out all the quilting. Yep. Took a while mostly because most seam rippers couldn't get those tiny stitches out without damaging the fabric. The winner was the Clover Seam Ripper - slips under even the tiniest of stitches.

I did meander stitching in the background (an Alexander Henry fabric called "Starry Night" based on Van Gogh). The hull is outline stitched and I left the sails free. Border done in filler shell stitches. Looks really great (see 2nd photo). The idea for the border stitches came from 365 Filler Stitches blog (See link under Quilting Links in my sidebar)

So, I have finished my 2nd oldest UFO!!

Tall ShipsTall Ships Edge

1 comment:

SusanB said...

Congratulations on the finish. "Tall Ships" is a beautiful quilt.