Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Mom's Rose Afghan Is Done

Well the day is just as dull and dreary as yesterday. However, here is a photo of my Mom's new afghan! I used TLC dusty rose, TLC medium thyme and Red Heart white. I also used a K hook which was unusual for me. My Mom was given the pattern by a lady who was teaching her how to crochet. She never really learned, so 30 years later, I insisted on doing it for her. She selected the colors and the final finishing (original was fringed) which included these great scallops.

The Cabbage Rose pattern in Best of Maggie Weldon Crochet Afghans has a very similar rose. NOTE: I HAVE NOW ADDED PATTERN DIRECTIONS BELOW THE PHOTO!
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Here's a closeup that shows the scallops and flower shapes better.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Here are the pattern directions as they originally appeared in a 1971 issue of Women's Day. Keep in mind that the flower square starts out rectangular and extra stitches are put on 2 sides to square it up. Also, I used a K hook. A J hook would not give me gauge. I also hated the fringe and instead did a scalloped border starting with 1 row of the flower color and then switching to the green.

Six Petal Rose Afghan

41 x 56 inches

Materials: 5 skeins black worsted
2 skeins green
2 skeins magenta

Crochet hook J or size to give correct gauge

Motif (plain)

With black, ch 5, join with sl st to form a ring.

Rnd 1: ch 3, 2 dc in ring, (ch3, 3dc in ring) 3 times, ch 3, join with slip stitch in top of ch 3.

Rnd 2: Sl st to next ch 3 sp, ch3, 2 dc, ch3, dc in space, *3 dc, ch3, 3dc in next ch 3 sp (corner group made). Repeat from *. Join with sl st in top of ch 3. Fasten off.

Rnd 3: Attach green to corner ch 3, 2 dc, ch3, 3 dc in corner sp, *3dc in next space, work corner group in corner space. Repeat from * once. 3 dc in next space. Join in top of ch 3. Fasten off.

Rnd 4: Attach black, * work corner group in corner space, 3 dc in each sp. Repeat from * around. Join.

Rounds 5&6: Repeat rnd 4. Fasten off. Make 16 more plain motifs.

Flower Motif

With magenta, ch 6, join to form a ring.

Rnd 1: Ch 5, sc in circle 6 times. Join with sl st in first sc.

Rnd 2: In ch 5 loop; * 1 sc (ch1, 1dc) twice, ch 1, 1 sc. Repeat from * around.

Rnd 3: *1 sc around bar of next sc of 1st rnd, ch6. Repeat from * around. Join

Rnd 4: In ch 6 loop, *1 sc (Ch1, 1dc) three times, ch 1, 1 sc. Repeat from * around. Join Fasten off magenta.

Rnd 5: Attach green between scs of petals, sc in same place. *Ch 6, 1 sc in space between next 2 petals. Repeat from * around. Join.

Rnd 6: Ch 3, 2dc in same sc. *In next lp, 3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc: in next lp, 3 dc: in next lp 3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc*. Now 3 dc in next sc. Repeat between * once. Join. Fasten off green.

Rnd 7: Attack black and work to correspond to last 3 rnds of plain motif. Make 17 more flower motifs.

Finish: Sew motifs together alternating motifs. Fringe ends as follows. To make fringe: Cut yarn in 12 inch lengths using 4 strands of 1 color, knot fringe between dc groups. Alternate colors as follows: 1 black, 1 magenta, 1 green, 2 magenta

11 comments:

Nikki in Niagara said...

Beautiful! Makes me want to pick up the hook again!

claudia said...

That afghan is beautiful! I love the colors.

♥.•*Carol T*•.♥ said...

Hi
I love your rose afghan, it's so pretty!!
Your blog is really nice!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Nicola,
What a pretty Rose afghan you made for your mom, Is there anyway you could possibly tell me where this pattern came from or is there a book out there to order it? Please let me know I'd really would like to make it.
Thank you,
Javvgar@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Hello Stephanie,
I thought your name was nicola, the last comment was from me on your Mom's Rose afghan.
Sorry,
Y.Marie

Stephanie said...

Thanks for all the kind words. Unfortunately, this pattern is not available at the request of my Mom.

Ms Tigga said...

After reading the list of materials needed to complete this afghan, I still can't tell where the black worsted yarn comes in at.
Have I missed something?

Misstigger7

Stephanie said...

The materials were for the original afghan. I used white instead of black. I have white cats so anything black won't work around here.

Anonymous said...

I looked for the Cabbage Rose Pattern for a long time,when I lived in England I bought a Magazine that had the pattern in it, but I just started out crocheing, and thought it was wrong what I was doing,and through the magazine away, that was years ago, then I found your Website, and here it is my Rose, thanks so much for posting this pattern can't wait to get started.

Bev said...

Since you changed the edging, can you tell us how to do the scalloped edging? I am fairly new to crochet, so a pattern change kind of throws me!!

Stephanie said...

Bev, I'll add the adjustment to the bottom of the instructions. My Mom has both afghans at the moment and I want to be sure that I'm giving you the correct instructions for the corners.