Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Paddlewheels Are Done!

I finished my Paddlewheels Quilt yesterday! Tested it last night and it's a keeper. Now for the details. This quilt is about 75x93 inches and made entirely from the Thimbleberries line for a country look. The batting is Warm and Natural (unwashed) and the backing is leftovers from my stash. I made this using the quilt-as-you-go method popularized by Georgia Bonesteel, but quilted by machine. My method was to connect together 2 rows of blocks, add backing and batting and pin. Then quilt. After quilting I connected them. Please note that if you are doing a pieced border, attach the border first, then quilt. Lining up quilted cornerstones doesn't work very well. The quilt top goes together very fast. I made all the blocks and border sections in one weekend. The quilt pattern I used is entitled Paddlewheels and Pinwheels and is in the book Thimbleberries Book of Quilts by Lynette Jensen. I'll likely do this quilt again in bright fabrics. This is my type of scrap quilt-lots of different fabrics used, but only one or two background fabrics.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Here's a closeup so that you can see the quilting. When I don't have sashing, I quilt to within 1/2 inch of edge so that I can still easily connect the blocks. I used a walking foot for all the quilting and freehanded the widths. If you want more exacting, measure and mark.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Here's the back. Some of the fabric is leftover after cutting borders for another project. I didn't really like the brown all that much. I did use it for the borders in the front and then used the rest on the back. All the fabric in this quilt is from stash.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

4 comments:

claudia said...

I love the quilt! The colors are yummy.
I'm really curious about the quilt as you go method. I have only made a few quilts, two of them were crib sized or smaller. I don't have a lot of space to quilt, so maybe this method is better for me. Is it difficult? Do you have a favorite book that teaches this method? Thanks for your help and your inspiration...I love looking at your work!

Stephanie said...

Claudia, I'll do a whole post on quilt-as-you-go as several folks have asked. I just don't have the time today. For whole quilts (where top is already done), I highly recommend buying "Divide & Conquer: Quilt It Your Way" by Nancy Smith and Lynda Milligan from Amazon. They have several ways of addressing this. In March, I plan to do my pink swap block quilt this way, and will include step-by-step photos of the process.

Sybil Hollier said...

Where can I get the pattern for this quilt?

Stephanie said...

The Paddlewheels pattern is in the book The Thimbleberries Book of Quilts by Lynette Jensen.