Monday, June 28, 2010

Panther Wall Hanging

It's done, it's done!! It's going to look SO cool against the cool green wall (yes, I have a place picked out already and plan to hang it this week).

First, I should say that I did not make this top. It was a store sample sold when Country Peddler Quiltshop in St. Paul closed. I loved this top, but the fabric was no longer available, so was thrilled when I had the opportunity to buy the store sample (2001?).

As far as the quilting, I did 1/2 inch diagonal quilting in the window, tight woodgrain quilting in the window and freeform leaves in the border mimicking the leaves in the fabric. I originally had some vine quilting in the sashing, but it looked odd. It actually looks better unquilted, so I have left it that way. The backing fabric is also jungle leaves, so really well planned. Alas, none of this used up stash as the backing was purchased only a couple of months ago and the binding was just leftover from the last quilt.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Here's a closeup that shows some of the quilting detail. Really hard to see against black (using black thread).
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Country Peddler closed because the owner decided to retire. It was a loss for me as it was my first quilt shop and I learned so much from there. To see what it was like, see the writeup at the link below. Keep in mind that this was posted about the same time as the shop closed, so it's a pretty old posting! Heck, half the postings are of now closed shops!
http://www.planetpatchwork.com/travel/minnesota.htm

No comments: