Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Log Cabin Quilt Finished!

I finished the Log Cabin quilt on Sunday. Washed and dried it yesterday, so it's a done deal! It's even been cat tested and approved.

The fabric for the blocks was from a 10 in. square swap at About.com in 2003. Some of the greens were forest, some were marine and I found that the black sashing helped them to play together better as well as give a sophisticated look. This is a queen sized quilt, 81x99 inches with a flannel background. I used Joanne's Soft and Crafty High Loft batting and tied it using Cascade 220 wool. My LQS recommended a chenille needle and that worked great! I did need to use a needle holder a lot more (I often refer to it as a hemostat). I used the Quilting From the Heartland Log Cabin templates for this project. A log cabin is done much faster using the strip piece method popularized by Quilt-In-A-Day, but if you are trying to use scraps that don't lend themselves to strip piecing, I highly recommend these templates.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Here's a closeup that shows the flannel backing.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

If you want your own brand new set of templates, here's a link. Omnigrid is also licensed to sell QITH templates and sell them through Joann Fabrics.
http://www.qheartland.com/pd_heartland.cfm

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Really nice quilt. Can you use flannel backing on the back of a cotton quilt? I am pretty new quilter so thought that cotton was on cotton, and flannel on flannel.
I love your quilt. I do stipple quilting most of the time.
I dream of a long arm....doesn't everyone?