Monday, January 15, 2007

Doggie Baby Quilt

I finished the Dog Rail Fence Baby quilt today! Quilt is about 37 x 56 inches and straight stitch quilted using 100% poly fusible batting (June Taylor). Very simple design: alternating 6 inch finished blocks with rail fences. It took me 3 days from start to finish to complete. I'm so amazed! I've never done a rail fence pattern before! This is a totally non-traditional baby quilt. On the flip side, is a pretty rose pattern (it is, after all, for a little girl).

I like this quilt, but I wish I had more of the dog fabric. I added rails to each end to make it crib size, but I just think the additional dog blocks would have been better. When you fussy cut in large squares you need a LOT more fabric than you think. I had 1 1/4 yards and that still wasn't enough for this quilt. On the other hand, this is a great quilt to use a lot of novelty fabric.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Now, for an added comment. I really don't like the fusible batting. It doesn't stay stuck all that well on the edges. In addition, I really like that shrinkage to bring attention to the quilting, which adds to the coziness. I didn't prewash my fabrics, so those shrunk slightly, but I think 100% poly just isn't my thing. It was very fast to use instead of pinning, but it's one of those things where speed just doesn't make up for the lack of coziness.

1 comment:

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

That is a wonderful quilt. My son would have loved something like that. I also loved your quilt slideshow at the bottom of the blog. You have so many beautiful quilts!