Sunday, January 05, 2020

Fabric Frolic and stuff

Finally, I'm back to sewing, stitching and needlestuff!   I have to find new storage for photos.  I have google storage for updating my computer, so gotta figure out how to do the photos and link them.  Photobucket is charging too much compared to other places.
I have a new sewing space. It is small, it is not yet done. Lighting is my primary problem at the moment.  I actually had a choice of moving myself into this room and turning my bedroom back into the sewing room that it once was.  However, my cats all have arthritis now and that is the window that faces the bird feeders.  They jump up on bench to the bed and can either lay on the bed and watch the birds or jump into the deep window space to watch up closer. I couldn't take that away from them.

Partly due to loss of family, I plan to reassess my fabric hoard in the Spring. I only have so much space for quilts and only a few family members who need quilts.   I'm not keen on using my fabric primarily for charity projects - I just can't afford it as I would have to buy additional fabrics to make stuff.   Yet, what do I do with finished pieces? So I do plan to use some of the fabric for curtains in the bedrooms, and perhaps selling some of it and using the cash for other purposes.

I'm doing Bonnie Hunter's (quiltville.com) current mystery quilt called Frolic.  I'm on part 3 and part 7 was released on Friday.  So, it's a catch up game.  She's asked that we not reveal the mystery for awhile, so I won't be uploading any photos until at least February. :) Cool fabrics though!

Knitting - for this year, I am mostly just knitting socks.  Due to vision loss, I no longer buy any knitting patterns.  I can still knit - but complicated or lacy things are too hard - If I drop a stitch, I can't easily pick it up to fix it. My current goal of weight loss, if met by next Fall, will enable me to justify buying yarn to knit up a new sweater.  Now that the house is not kept as warm due to moving my disabled brother upstairs, I'm much more comfortable, but still need a sweater when the temp is hanging around 30F as the furnace doesn't run as much.

Cross-stitch - I discovered, despite the vision loss, that I can cross-stitch again now that vision has stabilized.  I can't stitch 32 ct fabric (although I plan to finish one ornament using a magnifying glass) any longer.  Some 28 ct works well, others do not.  There are lot more projects I can do with Aida.  Finished one easy project and almost done with a second. Then I plan to focus on the many SALs I joined and turning my UFOs (Unfinished Objects) into WIPs (Works in Progress) again.

SALs include Chopping Mall, Harry Potter, Space, and Familiars.  A little behind right now due to having fabric and all of them starting at the same time, but there is a lot of time in between for 3 of them, so I will catch up.  I have to have my feet up in the evening, so I get a lot of stitching in most evenings.

Finally, I am finally on Facebook.  I won't be linking this blog to my account, but I was really amazed how many of my yahoo groups are now on Facebook.  Alas, what used to be groups of 400 where you could easily get to know 20-25 fellow crafters, they are now huge groups of thousands.  So much for interpersonal groups.


No comments: