Saturday, February 14, 2009

Pillowcases

I managed to burn through slightly more than 4 yards of fabric in the last couple of days making king sized pillow cases. I used novelty fabric purchased at least 5 years ago featuring fantasy characters (such as dwarves, castles, elves, wizards) and one yard featuring castle windows. Made a specialty pillow case out of the castle windows and 2 king sized pillowcases for my sister who is into playing Guild Wars (Online fantasy game). Had enough left to make one for my own king sized pillow. Haven't figured out what to do with the leftovers. Click on thumbnail for a closeup of fabric.
Fabric - fantasy

My plan was very simple. I chose to use only the one fabric instead of the currently popular method of using a different fabric for the edge. Commercial King sized pillowcases are 19 x 42 inches, so I trimmed off selvedges and cut fabric into 39.25 lengths (includes 5/8 inch seams). I sewed 1/2 inch edge down on one side (do on opposite sides if doing a matching pillowcases) as it prevents later fraying. Sew the 2 sides together leaving one edge open. I use a 3 inch hem and stitch twice, about 1/4 inch apart for a nice finish.

I am frustrated with Photobucket right now, so am trying posting photos from Webshots. Bart was determined to be in every photo, so here he is, checking the softness of a pillow.









No comments: