Sunday, October 11, 2009

Quilting Projects This Week

First, the Train Quilt was completed last week. We've had a lot of rain, so hopefully, I can post a photo soon. This week, I'm working on 2 quilt projects. One is Big Busted and the other is Winter Fun. Here's a link my original posting of those projects.
http://waytoomuchstash.blogspot.com/2009/05/big-busted-is-busted.html

Big Busted is a finished top from a quilt-a-long at Stashbusters earlier this year. I am piecing together thick batting from tying previous quilts to make a batting for this one. Whatever batting is left over will go into a cat pad for my precious pets. I have one more strip of batting to complete my batting for the center. This part has been a comfy TV project. I have abandoned the idea of using pieced flannel for the back. I don't have enough of coordinating colors and I don't want it to look weird either since this is a lap quilt for the living room. I'll look at Joann's and see what I can find in the way of Snuggle flannel. The scraps will be used in the cat pad.

Winter Fun was a swap from QuiltingAroundTheWorld.com last winter. The top is done, I want to complete the quilt this month. Currently, it is pinned and I've done a small amount of quilting. This will be the first quilt where I'm using different quilting motifs in every block. It will be a wall quilt, so I will be adding a sleeve to the back.

I've had several requests from family members for wall quilts, so I think this winter, I can look forward to a few small projects. My sister threw out ideas such as fish, deer, loons. Her goal is to reduce the sound in her home (lots of wood floors). I do have a pattern for a large deer quilt, but honestly, I don't think that she has a wall that can accommodate it. I have a number of fish quilts I can do including realistic lake/river fish. For my bro, he HAS the wall space, but his interests are hard to gauge. I'm thinking anything forest-like that includes wild animals would work for him. When I get to him, maybe I'll show him some pattern ideas. He likes tapestries without a ton of detail.

Did a couple of other little sewing projects this week. Used some Vikings and U of M Gopher polar fleece to make a kitty pad for my dad's cat (for use while watching games) and a 16 inch square pillow for my BIL. Made a pillow case for my bro that matches the flannel on the back of his winter quilt (the Citrus Stars). The small amounts left over will go into more cat pads.

No comments: