Saturday, December 05, 2009

Continuing Quilting Projects


Some new purchases and continued slow work on projects.

I am on No Buy for a year at Stashbusters and this includes books. I can buy B's - backing, background and Batting. I'm also on No Buy for books, but for every 2 quilting books I part with, I can get one. I traded off 2 quilting books at PaperbackSwap this week, so I was able to include a new quilting book in my Amazon order. Honestly, I SHOULD get rid of half my quilting books, but that is too painful of a process. I'll go in bits and pieces.

Butterfly Album: Monarchs & More by Bea Oglesby is the only book I've seen that focuses on appliqueing monarchs. Lots of details to add extra pizzaz to even a plain butterfly block, which is what I was looking for. I'm really taking to applique. I just need to spend more time doing it.

For fabric buys, I got some gold background for doing Bonnie's current mystery. I have plenty of Christmas fabrics in red and green, some solids in tan, but I had no gold background. So, now that I have that, I will be able to start cutting by Monday. If you want to participate, here's the link: http://quiltville.com/carolinachristmas1.shtml. Just go at your own pace, she will keep the instructions up until June. To keep the mystery, just don't click on the next step until you are done with the current one.

Mill End still has the 60% coupon thing going on, so my gold background wasn't very expensive at all. My Mom wants me to make her some cotton jammies, so I have to go back next week and select something for her. Of course, since I get the scraps that will likely bias me as to which fabric I will select. :) Hmm...pink, blue, jungle animals? We shall see. Someone emailed me about Mill End Textiles. No, this is not quilt shop fabric. It compares very favorably with the better quality cottons at both Joann's and Hancock's and I don't hesitate to use it, but I wouldn't use it with primarily quilt shop fabrics just because the feel is different.

I'm still working on socks. I hope to get ONE pair done by the end of the year and that will be the pair I just started last week! There is no design to follow. Just straight sock knitting reusing yarn from an earlier project start. Then I will stop trying to participate in the sock KAL and finish all the ones I have started. After all, I really want to wear them while it is cold! I'm beginning to understand why some people now ONLY do the two-at-a-time method! I'm in!

No comments: