Thursday, February 09, 2012

More BOM Blocks

Here's blocks 6 and 7 for the QuiltingAroundTheWorld.com (QATW) 2012 BOM. I'm doing mine in a selection of holiday fabrics. I have a couple of white on whites to use up from other projects for my background and most of the holiday fabrics have quilter's gold in them.

I used the book 400 Quilt Blocks to sew in 20 Minutes or Less by Linda Causee. This book is fabulous if you can find it. It has about 300 (plus color variations) different blocks and includes instructions for cutting them in 3 different sizes. I was a bit floored that it sells on Amazon.com and elsewhere for more than $80. I bought mine at a used book store for $9.98.

QATW BOM BLock 6

For the Dresden Plate, I finally used my Darlene Zimmerman template. Wasn't quite as easy as I'd hoped to sew it right the first time. The blades go together very swiftly, but it is very fussy with all those bias edges. Still, I plan to make a couple of gift quilts using this.

QATW BOM Block 7

Finally, yes, yes, yes, the Apple Core quilt top is done. I finished it Monday, but I've been sick all week. I've had a lot of improvement today, so if it sunny, you will see a photo tomorrow! That final row and the Dresden Plate is all the quilting I've done this week. Anyway, the other good news is that my sister came over last weekend and I have a new closet, all freshly painted! Sis actually did most of the work, but she will benefit since I now can find batting for those wallhangings I've planned. Now, all the leftover batting is stored on the top shelf, and project containers on the next. I also have 2 large heavy duty shelves covering one side of the closet. Right now, quilts and afghans are just folded there. Old sewing machine is underneath. Not sure what to store in the rest, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. That's about it for today.

[edited to add] Here's a photo of a page from Linda Causee's book. As you can see, it gives instructions in 3 different sizes as well as piecing instructions intended for an experienced beginner.
Page from book, example of page from Lynda Causee's book

No comments: