Saturday, April 15, 2006

Happy Tax Day!

Yes, if you are still working on your taxes, you are welcome to groan, but for everybody else who didn't procrastinate, CONGRATULATIONS! You are DONE!

I've been working on a lot of smallish projects the past couple of weeks. Finished March Thimbleberries BOM. Worked on Sister's Choice blocks. Have nearly finished another ladybug (we had a hiatus on X-files for a couple of weeks). Working on CrochetGuy's 2nd block (first one wasn't square, so I'm redoing it). Glenda reports that all the swap blocks have now been mailed out, so I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Triple Irish Chain blocks! In between all this, I decided to eliminate most of my stamping hobby, so have been monitoring that on Ebay (seller id: StephMN). I love scrapbooking and I like using stamps for scrapbooking. I don't use them for cards, so they just don't get enough use to justify the space. OH, and I'm working on a dreaded kit with Halloween Pumpkins. Now that I have all the pieces cut out, I guess it wasn't too bad. It was a Quilt By Numbers wall quilt and all these little pieces really intimidated me. But, I used some speed cutting techniques and that part is done. Today, I'll try to make some pumpkins!

When I'm working on quilting projects, I like to listen to books on tape. My latest author was one recommended by the library. He is Max Brand. He wrote Western Mysteries back in the 1920s and 30s. The one I just finished is Timbal Gulch Trail. Great blend of humor with western culture. First western I've 'read' since the 90s (my grandmother was a fan of Louis L'Amour and had all his books). Some of the books on tape require a player with balance control. Since I don't listen to tapes in the car, I'm getting a Bookcassette Adapter for about $5. Good investment for getting unabridged reading! For regular reading, I've been reading Lazy B by Sandra Day O'Connor and Alan O'connor. This book really gives a great flavor of growing up on a cattle ranch in the early half of the 20th century. Well worth the read!

Factoid: program my parents were watching this morning reported that carrots really don't improve your eyesight. During WW2, to hide the fact that radar existed, the Brits reported that pilots were eating carrots which allowed them to see much better. Who'd of thought? They were also the ones who came up with the fake air squadron. Things that make you go hmmmm...

No comments: