Thursday, August 24, 2006

Is It Ever Wet!

Rain, rain and more rain today. Good for the grass. Bad for me the Lawn Ranger.

I've had progress with projects this week. I completed the knitting on the Homespun Shawl today. I made it larger than the pattern and have chosen to do without the fringe at this time. I'll post a finish photo in a day or so. The Maple Leaf Quilt is currently on my table and is being tied. It's going to take at least a week, judging from how long the previous queen sized tied quilt took. My Mom helped me lay out the backing, batting and top and roll it up. I am using a long resin table from the hardware store to do the tying. Works great! I am using a new batting. It is Soft 'n Crafty Hi-loft by Joanns. The second batt is going into my sister's quilt which I expect to finish before the snow flies. Since she washes blankets much more often (dog sleeps with her), I'll be able to compare these different Hi-loft battings in these quilts as well as with the Diamond Scrap Quilt. I can tell already that the needles I used to get at my former quilt shop (now closed) for tying quilts were superior to the needles I get now. I have to really struggle sometimes to pull the needle through. I will have to mail order some. The brand is John James. Really good.

Going to the Minnesota State Fair tomorrow. It's been 2 years since I've been there, so I'm really looking forward to this year's selection of crafts.

Goals: My goal for 2006 was to finish all crochet and knitting projects. I could work a little faster, but I am not doing too badly. Do need to pick it up a little judging by the projects listed on the side panel. My Mom's Rose Afghan now returns to being the take-a-long project for appointments. All the flower motifs are done and I'm working on the plain white blocks now.

No comments: