Monday, August 02, 2010

July Was A Bust

I got so little crafting done in July. I spent much of it mostly cleaning, cutting up scraps and doing other things. I've made a fair amount of progress on the granny afghan. Photos to be up later this week.

I did start working on a hand pieced Apple Core quilt from the scraps I've been accumulating. I have roughly 500 apple cores and according to the sheet, you need about 900 to make a queen sized quilt. Well on my way, I'd say. Why hand pieced? I have tried machine sewing these and I seem to spend as much time taking some apart to fix than it would take to hand sew these in the first place. It's a mostly mindless task. I have a needle with a larger eye and don't even need my needle threader to do this AND my bifocals aren't driving me nuts while sewing them up. I sew 5 or 6 sets of two during an hour of watching a show. No rush to get it done. It will likely become my take-a-long project when I finish the granny afghan.

August projects include quilting the Pine Grove quilt and continuing to work on the Spiderweb quilt top. While I'm getting progress on the quilting, the Spiderweb has come to a stop given that my sorting areas include the ironing board. Finishing that this week and can then focus on my swap and the Spiderweb. Swap? Yes, bad me. I joined another swap, that again required me to buy fabric because I didn't really have stash. This time, it's a plaids/strips Goose in the Pond block using shirtings as a background. It's a simple pattern - HSTs with 9 patches and rail fences. The fabric choices will make it look very cabin like and homey. We're doing a 15 inch finished block, so that should go fast. Who gets it? Me. All quilts are for me unless I decide I can part with it. (evil grin).

No comments: