Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Yummy Stuff

I managed to finish all my exchange blocks today and did more on the One Line Afghan. Also went to get my Kona cotton fabric, but only the black came in. I should mention here that on several of the quilting boards, quilters have noted that some of the Hancock's are eliminating Kona and substituting a new solid line. There have been complaints about the new solid that it shrinks more and doesn't hold it's color. I mentioned this to the manager of my store. She plans to continue getting Kona, but is going to bring it up at a meeting about the color and shrinkage problem. I have not yet purchased any of the new solids, but don't confuse this with the other brand of solids. No problem with that at all (and is actually a better choice than Kona if doing applique because it's not at thick).

One of the advantages of having combined blogs is that I can also have non-related stuff without guilt. One of my non-needlework hobbies is trying new recipes. I don't really like gourmet food (although I won't say no to gourmet chocolate). My preferred cuisines are American, Cantonese and Italian. I started trying a lot of Southern and Southwestern recipes last year (yes folks, Texas isn't all about chili and hot peppers!). I'm most familiar with MN/WI cuisine and New England as I grew up on both these places. Anyway, today it was cool enough to bake, so I tried a pound cake recipe. Yum. Easy. And family sized rather than celebration sized. Keep in mind that if you have one of the new dark, colored pans, your baking time may be shorter. This isn't really a cooking blog, but when I come across something really easy to make, I'll post it for ya. Consider this Needlework Food.

Aunt Evelyn's Pound Cake

3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1/3 pound butter, melted (do not substitute margarine)
1 cup flour
1 tsp. almond flavoring

Beat eggs well with 1 cup sugar. Add butter. Add flour and almond flavoring. Bake in greased and floured loaf pan in low 325 F oven for about 1 hour, 15 minutes. Set in center of oven on middle shelf. Remove cake from pan between 5 to 10 minutes after baking.

Recipe by Flo Hanwick (MN) from Our Redeemer Luthern Pre-School in Aquebogue, NY 1981.

No comments: